After reading interviews and articles from those who have succeeded as writers, below are the top six lessons I learned about succeeding in journalism.
1) Dabble in different styles of writing. Eventually it will lead you to a style that you will want to work with for the rest of your career. (McPhee)
2) Focus your writing on the subjects you’re passionate about. Find a position that will allow you to do this and that is where you will succeed. (Dread)
3) The most direct way to a career isn’t always the best way. You can learn a lot of valuable skills from positions outside of your end goal (Adams)
4) Use all of my skills to make myself a unique asset to a company. Show that I stand out by combining the skills that I can offer. (Adams)
5) Learn how to approach subjects from a fresh and new perspective. This is a necessity for attracting readers. (Silver)
6) Read and write often. These are the most effective ways to improve at the craft. (McPhee and Silver)